Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Never too busy for food!

While I've been too busy with work and training to blog about food, I haven't skimped (too much!). Yesterday marked my 30 days of fairly strict paleo (for athletes). Aside from a few glasses of red wine, a few beers, 2 small slices of pumpkin pie, and 3 chocolate chip cookies I held out all month. I have found that I only eat non-paleo when I drink. Odd coincidence, eh?

Last night we celebrated by going out to a restaurant (first time!). The only non-paleo thing I had (aside from beer and wine) was bread. I wasn't that impressed, and since it was toasted it tore up my mouth! Darn you grains. Anyway, the sandwich was pretty bland without the heaps of mayonnaise and ranch dressing, go figure! Needless to say, I'm really happy with my paleo (for athletes) diet, and have no plans of changing it any time soon.

I don't miss dairy or grains really (aside from convenience). I have no idea if my calcium intake is sufficient, but a few days a week (when I'm not outside at all) I'll take a Calcium/Vitamin D supplement. It contains soy, so I don't take one every day. Aside from that, I've been taking Glucosamine and Omega-3, and that's pretty much it.

Now on to the best part - food!

We tried a variation of the paleo banana/flaxseed pancakes a few weeks ago. They were supposed to be lemon, but really just tasted like almond butter. Justin added blueberries, and I topped with agave one morning pre-ride.





Next morning we got back to basics with leftover fish, butternut squash, and half an avocado



Dinner the night before was grilled veggies and salmon with rubs (our previous favorite recipe was marinated in low sodium - haha - soy sauce, and balsamic vinegar. Soy sauce is totally out, and balsamic vinegar mostly is due to the acidity in vinegar, so rubs it is). We've been doing cajun seasoning and Costco/Kirkland Organic No Salt - tasty! Leftovers for tomorrow in the background!



One night last week while I put in some trainer time Justin hooked us up with a curry chicken and cauliflower recipe I'd found online. Basically he browned up some chicken breasts, probably with a little olive oil or coconut oil, then added in some diced cauliflower along with a little coconut milk and curry. He added in the carrots when the rest was nearly done (carrots fully cooked release their sugars - raw they are still plenty paleo-friendly). It was tasty! We've been liking the curry a lot lately.



Other than that, we've been eating good! Justin cooked up some mushrooms in a red wine reduction sauce with spinach, and then the old standby's: chicken, fish, and beef!

Breakfast is served:



Went on an almost 3 hour ride on Sunday, got pretty worn out, so came home to baking sweet potatoes and left over top sirloin. Delish.



I scarfed that down.

Justin also made applesauce for us last week. It was much easier/quicker than I thought it'd be. If I have time this week I'll try to make up the rest of our apples and do a post on it just in case someone else out there isn't sure how to make it! We left the skin on, so it's kind of...clumpy! Tastes great, though.





We also want to make almond milk and cashew butter, so stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. 3 Researches SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually kill fat by consuming coconut fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medical journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete